Wycombe Abbey International School

Wycombe Abbey International School

Thursday 16 June 2016

Update from Dr Dawber - Day 5

16.6.16  Update from Dr Dawber

Yesterday was blisteringly hot and very humid, so I didn't get outside much. However, the effort of sitting in the sun for half an hour on Tuesday (which was also pretty unpleasantly hot) as a cure for jet lag paid off. I finally slept well! 

Yesterday morning I did lots of admin and planning of lessons and experiments and, in the afternoon, I taught a yr11 (U5) revision lesson. Only 6 students in the class (I think there are only about 6 in ordinary year 11 as a whole, but they also have a 'pre A level group of year 11s who are not doing English igsces). The poor things were a little distracted by the thought of their IGCSE chemistry paper 2 an hour later, but it was fun and went well, nonetheless.

I also gave various Wycombe abbey science resources and schemes of work to the teachers here, they were very, very grateful! 

After dinner I got a guided tour of the swimming pool, so no excuses for not getting some exercise in any free time I have now! Sadly I forgot the mosquito repellent for my evening stroll so now I'm covered in bites, yuck.  

Today we tried out the Paper Pan project using the meths-types burners that they use here in science instead of Bunsen burners (the Chinese government has banned all use of gas in schools as I understand it). Sadly they don't get very hot and it took 45 minutes to boil the water - about as exciting as watching paint dry - so we've had to abandon that idea. The rest of the morning was mostly spent planning alternative experiments - I have a few up my sleeves but they don't have very much apparatus here yet and it's surprisingly difficult to get hold of everyday things we take for granted - but I think it's looking ok for the next two weeks. 

This afternoon I had another lesson with the yr11s (U5), mostly on Electromagnetism. They were really appreciative and wanted another! So after a meeting with the head of 6th form (who's also a house master) about UCAS and university preparation,  I gave an extra lesson to the yr11s going over everything they found hard. It was really rewarding, as they seemed to get so much out of it. I suspect I may see some of them again before their IGCSE physics paper 2 tomorrow afternoon! 

The pupils here are very friendly, (perhaps partly because I'm a bit of a novelty!?).  They all say hello, and give a little wave at the same time when they meet you in the corridor, even ones I've never met. It's very sweet! Especially with the tiny ones from primary and kindergarten 😊








No comments:

Post a Comment