Wycombe Abbey International School

Wycombe Abbey International School

Monday 27 June 2016

Update from Dr Dawber, Monday 27/06/2016

Saturday was really wet again, so I had a fairly quiet day. 20 lengths in the swimming pool in the morning, then the school Market Day - students selling things they had made or bought, from ice creams, to fans and from tattoos to pillows, in aid of charity. In the evening I went into Chagzhou to the Italian restaurant, Monkey King, with the headmaster, and we had a very tasty barbecue buffet.

Mercifully Sunday was glorious - clear skies, sunny and not ridiculously hot, about 26 degrees, perfect for exploring. I  had a lazy morning and then we had arranged for the taxi driver, Mr Wong, to pick me up and take me to the Tianning Pagoda and Temple in Changzhou. The Buddhist temple dates back over a thousand years, but the pagoda has been rebuilt recently and was finished about 10 years ago. It is the tallest pagoda in the world and makes a very impressive site, towering above the city's east gate region. It is built on 13 floors, most of which are open to the public and contain beautiful displays of Chinese art work, carvings and relics, as well as some truly huge golden Buddhas, and a dramatic crystal Buddha (with some very funky modern lighting!) You can also go outside on the higher floors, gaining an amazing view of the city spread out below you. There is a giant bronze bell at the very top which is rung to welcome in Spring each year. Initially I felt rather sorry for Mr Wong, having to follow me all the way (he doesn't speak a word of English so we couldn't engage in polite conversation!) but actually it became apparent that he had never been before and he got really enthusiastic about some of the statues and carvings, taking hundreds of pictures, so I think in the end he enjoyed it a lot! I certainly did. Bth the art works and the views wereo stunning.

When I got back, the Head had arranged to take me out for a spin in the speed boat on the lake. Great to get out on the water and feel the wind in my hair. We had a good view of all the people fishing (I'm not sure how keen I'd be to eat anything that came out of that lake, it looks very dirty and murky!) and some very interesting modern building around the shores, plus quite a few birds fishing too. Rowing is growing a pace here and sailing is an emerging sport, and there is clearly a great deal of scope for both.


School market day




















Tianning temple











































































































































View of the school from the speed boat



Fishermen on the bridge














No comments:

Post a Comment